[aprssig] Free Ham Mobile Web Page (MAP.FINDU.COM)

Arno Verhoeven (PE1ICQ) pe1icq at sharon.esrac.ele.tue.nl
Wed Mar 26 08:16:43 EDT 2008

Stephen H. Smith wrote the following on 2008-03-25 20:23:
  <snip>

> A far simpler "lite" installation would consist of running UI-Instant
> Messenger on a WiFi-equipped laptop.    This application is a plug-in
> for UI-View.   It can also run stand-alone  either directly into any
> IP/Internet connection, or directly into a radio via soundcard interface
> and AGWpe.
>
> The program produces a user interface similar to AOL Instant Messenger,
> Yahoo IM, MSN Messenger, etc. with separate windows for sent and
> received messages, and will handle all the issues of formatting text
> into proper APRS format with the appropriate headers, addresses, etc.
> Of course, it DOES require Windows (or a reasonable facsimile) to

Or even simpler. Use the device that most people carry with them at all
times, a cell phone.
Preferably an UMTS phone, but EDGE or plain GPRS will do fine.
A small java app could accept user input and insert it into the APRS-IS.
I'm not sure if such a J2ME app exists. IIRC there is a similar app that
uses a Bluetooth GPS for position data.

73, Arno  PE1ICQ