[aprssig] LCD in the car

Rich Garcia k4gpsc at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 10:23:10 EDT 2008

>From the responses on this initial message it seems that CarPuters could be
very popular among hams, look at the number of replys just off of this one
message on the list.MP3CAR.COM is interesting but I do not quite care for
it. I am wondering if it would warrant a HamCarPuter mailing list?

I am looking it install one on my 08' Expedition since the wife does not
care for a laptop on her lap for 8+ hours. A RAM mount is nice, I have one
in my work truck but it does take up space for passenger leg room. I would
like it mounted IN DASH but if I pull out the stock radio I lose the rear
controls and would need to duplicate the FM/AM/CD accessability even if I
were to do put a FM/AM tuner in the MiniITX/or USB. If you own an 08'
Expedition you know that there is VERY little spare room unless you remove
the trunk plastic pannels. Very little underdash room, nothing inside of the
center console, 0% room under the seats, air bags every which way you turn
etc.
If you mount the LCD on the dash you will probably get washout most of the
time not to mention a theft target, if you mount it anywhere else you will
block the air bag or some dashboard control.

Kenwood makes a great in-dash infotainment system but ALAS even though it is
a computer you can't load up your own software in it. Wonder if it could be
hacked to install Linux software?

Rich