[aprssig] 8 hour Backup Power Rule

Henry Wolcott ka1wts at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 17:19:16 EDT 2008

Certainly at least 8 hours. FEMA in the past as told us in emergency management that we would be on our own for three days before they could be mobilized. They may be better now. Of course the state may well be mobilizing much sooner but if the disaster is widespread it is likely to be a while before the smaller towns can be helped. Bob's 8 hours seems to be a reasonably achievable minimum and my recommended 3 days is a difficult to achieve maximum but a few key repeater owners should be able to do it.

Hank   KA1WTS

Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote: APRSdom...

While doing emergency ham radio planning, conider the magic "8
hour" rule being pushed by the FCC onto the cell phone
companies.  Attached below is more than you want to know about
it, but it suggested to me a thought for Ham radio.

That is, if ham radio is going to "offer services" for emergency
preparedness, then if we made sure that we could offer "8 hours
of black-out" communications, then we are one step ahead of the
nations cellular network...

Just something to use in your quiver.
Bob, WB4APR