[aprssig] digi on old gear

Chris Kantarjiev cak at dimebank.com
Wed Mar 5 17:42:19 EST 2008

I just met Alan K6LSU, who would like to set up a digi at his QTH above
Oakhurst (looking south towards Fresno, unfortunately, which means he
may have a hard time hitting an igate ... one problem at a time).

He's got a varied assortment of old gear: a Kantronics "KAM" TNC, a
Toshiba Satellite laptop (Win98). He's got a Kenwood TM-731 dual-bander
for the radio.

I'm pretty sure that the KAM won't digi by itself, though it appears to
implement KISS in almost all versions of the firmware (according to the
Kantronics website). What might he run? Digined, perhaps? He's got
the TNC hooked up to the mic connector ... I don't know how much he
cares about using it for voice on the local repeater, too.

It appears, too, that there may be some problems with getting the
unsquelched audio through that connector - does the KAM do software DCD?

http://www.radiomods.co.nz/kenwood/kenwoodtm731.html seems germane...

I guess I could get him started with UI-DIGI, so he gets an idea of
what's going on on RF, and then figure out if he really wants to build a
standalone setup.

73 de chris K6DBG