[aprssig] APRS TouchTone

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Mar 3 08:32:01 EST 2008

>> 9) In APRStt (APRS Touchtone) any APRS message
>> that was sent to APRStt would be SPOKEN onto
>> the APRStt channel.  Remember, APRStt was a
>> DTMF-to-APRS-to-VOICE system so that anyone with
>> just any  mobile radio or HT, could fully
>> participate in all aspects of APRS.  That is,
>> their data could be input from their DTMF keypads
>> including messages, and they could get voice
>> response that verbally "painted" the APRS picture
>> (all of this on the separate local  APRStt channel).

> Very cool, but does it not require remembering
> quite a lot extra information.

The beauty of the design was simplicity.  To QUERY nearest station was DTMF "QN".  To Query station N4XY was DTMF "QS N4XY".  Really nothing much to remember.

> I think anyone 'that' interested in the first
> place, would already have a TH-D7.

That is exactly the probelm. Volunteers for special event come as they are.  In my club we still have some that show up with IC-2AT's, an 1970's HT.  They will never adopt APRS.  But with APRStt, they can monitor the APRStt voice-back channel where they can hear APRS information.  They can query for the location of anything, and hear the movements of the key things being tracked.