[aprssig] Emcomm Activation.

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Sun Mar 2 11:15:03 EST 2008

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008, Bob Bruninga  wrote:

> 4) If anyone sent an emergency posit, the map screen would be forced on
> all users.  It would be centered and zoomed into that stations symbol.
> That symbol would be displayed in bright red.
>
> 5) The PC would beep (SOS in CW) repeatedly until the operator attended.
>
> 6) If anyone sent a PRIORITY posit, the same thing would happen but without the BEEP.

   That's a good way to annoy users right out of APRS altogether!  Pop-ups
are bad enough, but if my display jerked to a different center and zoom
based on a received packet instead of my input, I would dump it in a
flash.  The individual user has a job to do, and THEY determine the scope
of information that they need to be displayed at any point in time.  One
tracker 'crying wolf' would disrupt the entire emcomm activity until EVERY
operator made their own determination, and reset their display.
   I say a resounding NO! to this proposal.  Let the APRS operator
determine what is on their display.  IF the station sending an emergency
or priority message is within the current center/zoom, then flash the icon
(priority) or callsign label(emergency), and let the operator select
'station info' if and when they are ready to deal with it.

--
Rick Green, N8BJX

                                   -Benjamin Franklin