[aprssig] MicroHAMS Digital Conference2008 - March 22, 2008

Pentti Gronlund pentti.gronlund at tut.fi
Sat Mar 1 11:47:38 EST 2008

Robert Bruninga writes:

> I hope someone can describe how APRS is "supposed" to work as
> opposed to the common missconception as "just a vehicle
> tracking" map system...

I hope some emphasis can be done to the scope of mobile equipment that
can utilize APRS outside "just vehicle tracking".

So far, the setups are quite extensive, like the one a friend of mine
built up some 5 years ago:

http://www.netma.fi/jouko/saab/interior.html

The Kenwoods show the weather and the nearby stations nicely, but I don't
get the idea about messaging with the early 90's GSM SMS user interface.
Of course it hits those of us who have a soft heart for all communication
thingies from the years bygone, but it simply isn't useful.

For example, get stopped by a freeway cop with a Motorola setup, and see
what is going in the real world of tactical communications.

Benjamin OH3BK
--
		Live Reports from the Taxman's Paradise!