[aprssig] GPS Jamming On The Rise

Rich Garcia k4gpsc at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 20:51:50 EDT 2008

1.57something.

It has been many years but the 3rd harmonic of analog CH 67 I belive is
right on top of the GPS signal. One of my cell sites was co-located with a
TV station and we often had very serious problems locking up our XO and RB
that got a reference off of the GPS receiver (a Motorola Oncore BTW that was
built into the XO).

If the GPS ever died we would never be able to swap of the XO without
powering down the TV station, talk about a pain. In my 8 years there we had
to power down the transmitters for about 2-3 hours on 3 occasions. Yes we
would get lock quickly but the database was slow to update, if all birds
were not seen and "memorized" off the bat when the TV station powered up we
would lose the lock. After several hours we were able to power the TV
transmitters up and from 6-7 birds it would drop to 3.

Eventually by mounting the GPS antenna at a 45 degree angle away from the
tower and on the ground BEHIND A 16ft dish that blocked the view from the
broadcast antenna we were able to resolve MOST of the trouble.