[aprssig] GPS Jamming On The Rise

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Jun 27 17:34:11 EDT 2008

Lloyd M. Mitchell wrote:
> If you're using a Garmin GPS V, I can jam it with my FM broadcast
> radio on 94.3MHz at 50 ft.  I imagine the IF freq's are mixing. Took
> me the longest to figure out why in the morning drive I could not get
> a fix, but the afternoon drive no problem (different stations morning
> and evening) of course this was pre-Sirus...
>
> Lloyd KO4L

Most likely, it's the 15th harmonic of the FM broadcast radio's local
oscillator landing on the GPS operating frequency.

94.3 + 10.7 =  105 MHz      [10.7 MHz is the standard IF frequency of
most FM receivers; thus the LO will be above the operationing frequency
by this amount.}

105 MHz  x 15 = 1575 MHz   which is the center frequency of the GPS
signal.

I had this kind of problem years ago during some GPS experiments with
Los Angeles Sheriff Dept vehicles.  My GPS-driven radio-coverage mapping
system worked fine in my car, but would absolutely not work in LASD
black&whites.   Finally discovered that the third harmonic of the local
osc of the GE Ranger 506/507 MHz T-UHF mobiles were landing directly on
the GPS frequency and wiping out GPS RX completely.

[Bear in mind that GPS signals on the ground are INCREDIBLY WEAK (i.e.
-130 to -140 dBm).  It is only the sophisticated spread-spectrum
de-processing at the receive end that allows these signals (that are
10-20 dB weaker than anything a conventional narrowband FM receiver
could ever hope to hear) to be detected at all.  And with a very minimal
no-gain antenna to boot.   It doesn't take much to cover them up.

Aircraft of course do have a huge advantage over land vehicles.  Since
the desired signal (the satellites) is coming from above, antennas
mounted on the top of the vehicle with a hemispheric directional pattern
upward can ignore a pretty hefty jamming signal originated on the
ground.  On the other hand, I have no idea what sort of antenna pattern
a JDAM (GPS-guided bomb) would have...  ]