[aprssig] APRS in Iraq?

khufford at atlanticbb.net khufford at atlanticbb.net
Thu Jun 26 11:06:57 EDT 2008

When the US Military was heavy in Bosina, they used APRS
with PACCOM modems in what was called "Snow Poles".

They took about 6 foot long 6 "OD PVC Pipe, put a point on
one end, a battery in the bottom, a TNC, a tranceiver, and
a GPS, a a tip over/tamper switch and dropped them out of
CH-47 helos trying to mark the "borders". Then in the base
camps they watched the poles, when someone tried to move
the border or take a pole, they sent out a patrol and
tracked them down. PACCOMM had a very good powerpoint
briefing they gave, at I think Dayton in the mid 90's.

Kent
KQ4KK