[aprssig] APRS in Iraq?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jun 25 17:28:43 EDT 2008

> I remember Pac-Comm mentioning that they had sent
> some units that were packaged in PVC pipe that
> were being deployed a while back.  Might've
> been in Iraq 1.

Good memory.  That was Bosnia around 96.  They wanted GPS in the
"border markers" so they could tell if anyone was moving them...

That is when we finally got a TNC MFR to put in the dupe
elimination.  Paccomm put in callsign substitution, (that has
the "RELAY dupe problem) but it wasn't till 98 that Kantronics
put WIDEn-N into a TNC.  SO now we are still trying to weed-out
all those older callsign substitution digis in APRS... And
hence, the new-N paradigm...

Bob, WB4APR