[aprssig] APRS in Iraq?

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Wed Jun 25 11:14:30 EDT 2008

Rick Green wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Matthew Stennett wrote:
>
>> Has anyone been to Iraq and knows about operation there?
>>
>> Is anyone running APRS there, on HF ? I doubt anyone would be on it on
>> VHF/UHF, but I guess I could get on with a SAT if anything passes by.
>>
>    Are you crazy???  I would think the LAST thing you'd want to do is
> advertise your position in a war zone?  It just may be the last thing you
> ever do!

Actually, there's likely a lot of tactical vehicle tracking there,
probably a lot inspired by APRS.  Possibly even some residual VHF tac
radio use.  Situational awareness on today's battlefield requires
knowing where assets, team, and the bad guys are.
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.862.3982 FAX: 979.862.3983