[aprssig] South/central virginia and Tennessee

Stephen - K1LNX k1lnx at k1lnx.net
Thu Jun 19 13:32:32 EDT 2008

"If this is the change you are talking about, I can see why they'd
resist! grin."

No, that's only a small part of the problem I suspect. It could be my
own ignorance getting in the way, which I'll freely admit! :P

I just have trouble understanding why packets flow the way they do
around here, perhaps I am not seeing the whole picture..... Maybe
things are working correctly and I have a wrong assumption as to how I
think they should work?

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Wes Johnston <johnstonwes at gmail.com> wrote:
> High level digi's SHOULD respond to Wn-n to include w1-1.  The low level
> digis should ONLY respond to w1-1.  If this is the change you are talking
> about, I can see why they'd resist! grin.
>
> Wes
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen - K1LNX" <k1lnx at k1lnx.net>
> Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 12:20 PM
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] South/central virginia and Tennessee
>

>> Bob,
>>    Your preaching to the choir. (warning: soapbox comments to follow)
>>
>> I have tried unsuccesfully to get the digi owners/operators in upper
>> East TN/Southwest VA to follow the new N paradigm, and have tried to
>> understand the way they have it set up now. To my knowledge, we only
>> have 1 fully N compliant digi here (I can't speak for Knoxville, they
>> do seem to be more compliant then we are here however based on my
>> observations). I'm not sure what the problem is with getting them
>> changed, could be lack of manpower, equipment limitations, time, or
>> resistance to change.
>>
>> Before I go off on too much of a tirade, there are a couple of
>> assumptions I have that I believe add to part of the problem here:
>>
>> 1. High level digipeaters (mountaintop) should not respond to Wide1-1,
>> that is what fill ins are for? We have several that respond to it....
>> 2. Repeater objects. I plan on implementing this myself on a fill-in
>> digi, not the standard I know, but better than nothing. I am
>> considering a 2 hop path to blanket the area. I will be setting up a
>> simplex IRLP/Echolink node soon on 440 that I will be beaconing as
>> well. Ideally I think just one high level digi should implement this
>> for the repeater that is used most often in this area.
>>
>> I've been using APRS for two years now and I still can not understand
>> my local network. My gripe is that their have been standards put into
>> place that have been suggested for use and they aren't. It makes it
>> difficult for end users such as myself to figure out the "best path"
>> to get a packet out.
>>
>> </soapbox off>
>>
>> How can I as a user make APRS better in my area? I encourage everyone
>> I know that uses APRS to run the suggested settings, but I still feel
>> like it's a constant uphill battle.....
>>
>> 73
>> Stephen
>> K1LNX

>>> Stephen, ah, glad to find someone in the area.  I hope I can
>>> enlist you to incite some progress on the digipeatrs in the
>>> area.
>>>
>>> I was disappointed during my 300 mile drive along I-81
>>> surrounded by digipeaters on mountains on both sides for 5 hours
>>> not to ever see once, a recommended voice repeater object show
>>> up on my APRS radio.  I appologize if there was one and I missed
>>> it.  But the digipeaters in that area are missing a great
>>> opportunity to the amateur radio mobile public.
>>>
>>> Every APRS digipeater is responsible for 3 things:
>>> 1) Digipeating local actiivty
>>> 2) Announcing its New-N capabilities
>>> 3) Transmitting the locally recommended VOICE repeater FREQUENCY
>>> object for mobiles in its immediate footprint.
>>>
>>> Bottom line.  APRS is an INFO distribution system!  If a mobile
>>> is in range of ANY APRS digipeater, then his APRS system should
>>> show three things:
>>> 1) Packets from all local activity
>>> 2) Information on the digi's capabilities
>>> 3) The recommended Voice Frequency in that immediate area.
>>>
>>> I ask that all digipeater owners in the country get motivated to
>>> complete this third aspect of the New-N paradigm.  Please read
>>> all about it.  Just Google the words "APRS localinfo" without
>>> the quotes.
>>>
>>> I think Eastern Tenessee was also rather bleak and there is no
>>> New-N support through Knoxville I think.  Here are my recent
>>> tracks.  If anyone knows how to get a different scale eeastern
>>> USA map from FINDU, let me know.  All I can find is the USA map.
>>>
>>> http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/track.cgi?call=wb4apr-9&geo=usa.geo
>>> &start=1000
>>>
>>> On that link you can see the gaps around Knoxville and Eastern
>>> Ohio.  We need to educate the country that although RF APRS is a
>>> purely 100% local RF system, that it does have responsibility to
>>> transitent mobiles as part of a national system.
>>>
>>> Clubs (even without any APRS members) should be embarassed to
>>> have their area be a black hole to the motoring amateur radio
>>> public.
>>>
>>> Can we build up a map of black holes and appeal to the national
>>> ham radio community to fill them even if they don't use APRS?
>>> That is why I feel that integrating LOCAL voice freqeucny info
>>> on APRS is so important.  It makes the local ham (non-aprs)
>>> aware of APRS every time an APRS use comes up on a visiting
>>> repeater and says "I saw your repeater on APRS, thought I'd
>>> check in..."  That may be the first visiting mobile to check in
>>> to that repeater in a week!  So many of them have PL's that
>>> without this local info LIVE, it is hard to visit these days...
>>>
>>> Thanks, Bob, WB4APR

>> --
>> Stephen Brown - ARS K1LNX
>> Johnson City, TN EM86uh