[aprssig] Ham uses for a 1.2m Ku-band dish?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jun 19 12:41:06 EDT 2008

> We're shutting down an office and there's a
> surplus 1.2 meter Ku-band HughesNet dish on
> the roof.  Is there anything interesting
> that can be done with it in the ham world...

We use the little $60 wireless cameras at 2.4 GHz and get about
600' range with a 9v battery and stock 1" whip antenna.

By using a 18" dish on receive, we extend the range to a mile.
With an 18" dish at the camera also, you could get well over 4
miles!  We use these in demonstrating links in our satellite
lab.

A 1 meter dish could extend this to 8 miles or with one on both
ends, to 16 miles.  Not bad for a lincense free Amateur
Television link that cost only $60 for the TX and RX and
everything you need but the dishes, which can be found in the
trash.

Bob, Wb4APR