[aprssig] Ham uses for a 1.2m Ku-band dish?

Dave Baxter Dave at emv.co.uk
Thu Jun 19 03:55:00 EDT 2008

That looks much like (the receive LNB and dish at least) typical domestic satellite TV stuff common in Europe, and much hacked.  Check out various modification websites that deal with European TV stuff.  The LO is probably a DRO (Dielectric Resonant Oscillator)  I know they can be "tuned", but also I hear that it is not that difficult to get alternative ceramic pucks, if you know where/who to ask.

Many of the "receivers" or in your case the "control gear" can be made to work on 23cms, as that posibly close to it's designed "IF" cable feed anyway.

Check out the German microwave ham scene, they do "lots" of work with this sort of stuff.   There is a high speed (mega bytes/second) amateur data network in parts of Europe, providing a packet "backbone" to much of eastern Europe.  From the little I know of it, much is based on converted kit much like you have, running on 10GHz.

The other known name for all this kit is "VSAT"  Or, Very Small Aperture Terminal in satcom circles.

73.

Dave G0WBX

.
.