[aprssig] I-80 Ohio/IN and D710 objects

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 18:40:46 EDT 2008

I've been experimenting with the MRK scheme...

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
>>> To alert other drivers, I also loaded up PM #5
>>> with the MYCALL of POLICE-9.  This way, whenever
>>> I saw a police car, I could simply hit the PM
>>> button to #5, beacon a few times and then go
>>> back to PM1.  This would put that police object
>>> on the map.
>>
>> How about a general yet personalized scheme?
>> The MYCALL name could be:  MRKNWP
>> The icon could be???
>
> Use either the /. "X" Or // "red dot"  or \/ Waypoint

// is working well..

>> Then when ever I wanted to leave a mark I could
>> switch to that PM and beacon a couple times to mark
>> the spot.  A simple findu search on MRK* would
>> bring up all the marks..
>
> If you were marking a bunch of points for later use, of course,
> you would have to change the name each time.  But then I guess a
> TRACK history of the single name would give you all of them
> too...

Here's a couple recent spots:  http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?mrk*

My setup:

  PM5 is the MRK setup I'm using.
  Frequency is a bit different here since I'm normally on the UHF96k
network.  So PM5 has to switch to 144.39.  I am going to change that
to the "other" alternate network of 144.35 MHz - all the extra traffic
on 144.39 clutters my heard list in just a few moments.  If I don't
get my spot out on 144.35 I can quickly QSY manually to 144.39 and
generate the beacons.
  I have BEACON set to manual.  One or two BCN pushes is generally all
it takes to bring up a MY POS beep.
  I've experimented with tweaking the first couple letters of the
dedicated STATUS text or changing the SSID.  Both are relatively
simple and allow for unique identification of the MRK.

It was interesting having to relearn how to the turn on the TNC on the
PM5.  I'd also never seen the extended option for symbols.  That's one
of the great things about Amateur Radio - there's always something new
to learn.

A custom FINDU query could probably be crafted to bring up the
different mark spots (or track) over the past few days.

The fun never quits...

73
Bill - WA7NWP