[aprssig] RF broadcasting GPS data to local devices

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 22:11:57 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 9:00 PM, Wes Johnston, AI4PX <wes at ai4px.com> wrote:
> Those look really slick.... $10 a pair... looks like the 315mhz models may
> be the way to go... pretty far away from 70cm ham band and rx sensitivity is
> better than 433mhz.

The microcontroller guys that have used them complain about them being
error-prone, and needing to implement NRZI, checksums, etc for their
applications.  As an RS232 cable replacement, they may work as-is, but
then again there could be some differences in $5 an endpoint and $60
an endpoint for bluetooth. (:

There's an outfit (in Canada named Abacom, IIRC) that has an audio
version of the 433MHz module, along with a 0.5W amplifier.  I used it
with an early version SMT OT to make a really compact APRS tracker.
Unfortunately the SAW oscillator drifted horribly at high altitudes
and it was scrapped.

-Jason
kg4wsv