[aprssig] OT: Broadband internet in remote locations

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Thu Jun 12 06:47:52 EDT 2008

We recently used my icsdatabase web app via a laptop with cellular internet
for a NDMS drill in Spartanburg SC.  The laptop used WinXP's ICS (internet
connection sharing) and we piped that into the commo trailer's wifi router's
WAN port.  From there, we were able to feed 14 laptops within 400' of the
trailer with no appreciable degredation of bandwidth.  Our commo trailer is
setup with an external cell antenna with FME connector and a few pigtails
for common phones, and the wifi router has an external NMO 5dB antenna.

Of course the ICS database app is designed to be low bandwidth and not
loaded up with eye candy or flash BS.  Very reminiscent of a 1990's web
page... when people didn't have DSL and 5meg cable modems.  The ritziest
graphic on the site is an occasional GIF from findu, and other than that,
some small animated 20x20px GIFs.  The database allowed us to track patients
from the point they were triaged in the field, decontaminated and then sent
to the local hospitals.  Even better, we were able to assign them to
vehicles and use hooks to findu to show the locations of the vehicles.  The
hospitals knew which patients to expect and could read the triage info
before the patients arrived.  Heck, it even has a "magic" way (lol) to link
family members and their pets.  We are able to register patients by swiping
the mag stripe on their driver's license too.

This is what you can do with internet in the field.

Wes

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:53 AM, Bill Vodall WA7NWP <wa7nwp at gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> Some may not be aware but if you have no internet connection and out of
> >> radio range this router is really "killer" for the home, mobile or
> Incident
> >> Command.
>
> Anybody can now have "metered" internet -- where there's coverage --
> for about $70 a month.
>
> There's one group that can get Instant Messaging, Weather info,
> tactical reporting, (tiny) web pages even email that's unlimited with
> NO coverage limits for (nearly) free.   Now that's priceless...
>
> 73
> Bill - WA7NWP

Wes
---
Where there's silence, there is no Hope.