[aprssig] New Open Source APRS Client Project

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Jun 12 00:31:47 EDT 2008

Rick Green wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008, Brian Webster wrote:
>
>> You have my vote for the porting to Windows for Xastir!!!! I love the
>> program but hate having to dedicate a specific machine to Linux to run it
>> and the Cgwyn option took up a lot of disk space.
>
>    Turn that around a bit, and look at it as:  Xastir is the 'killer app'
> that gives me a reason to switch to Linux, and relegate my secondary
> machine to that increasingly rare 'legacy app' that's only available under
> windows.

Up until 18 or so months ago, when I updated my laptop, I kept a Windows
partition on it for the few legacy apps that required it.  I could have
loaded VMware, on Linux, and done pretty well with those, or more
recently, Xen.  In fact, I use Xen a lot now... to create more virtual
Linux machines.  But, the partition on my laptop for Windows doesn't
exist now, as I found that, for the once I booted to it every 3-4
months, I could endure a little pain, contribute to an open-source
project that is about to overrun that last remaining legacy app, and if
necessary, I could still load XP in a Xen session.  I already know that
MapInfo does pretty poorly in Vista, you see, and don't need to go there.

I use Open Office for all my office and presentation needs, QGIS for my
GIS needs (and MapInfo rarely now).  Matlab and Mathematica are
available for Linux.  Portland Group's compilers for high performance
computing.  On Linux.  Someone has ported the WRF weather model to
Windows, but I'm not sure why.  Acrobat is available for Linux.  Eclipse
for an IDE.  Xastir for APRS, natively.

Did I miss something significant?

73 gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983