[aprssig] New Open Source APRS Client Project (aprssig: to exclusive)

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 22:18:13 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Brian Webster
<bwebster at wirelessmapping.com> wrote:
> You have my vote for the porting to Windows for Xastir!!!! I love the
> program but hate having to dedicate a specific machine to Linux to run it

That's not been necessary for a while now.  Besides cygwin that you
reference, there's been a VMware player (free download) virtual
machine image available, and someone just updated it to the latest
xastir.  The VM performs better, IMO, than cygwin.  Xastir is already
built on the VM, so no mucking around learning to build it, and a
current discussion on the xastir list is about removing steps such as
logging in to the VM and staring xastir.

Still takes a bit of disk space, but it's a good option for windows
users who want a top-notch APRS client but are stuck running windows.

-Jason
kg4wsv