[aprssig] New Open Source APRS Client Project

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Tue Jun 10 14:27:43 EDT 2008

Joseph M. Durnal wrote:
> VB6 probably wasn't the best choice, but that may be what was available.
>
> I suggest looking into Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition.  It is free.

I am still really amazed at the lack of use of Java in amatuer radio
applications.  The portability across OSes really does work.  The Netbeans or
Eclipse IDEs are free as is the right to distribute your software in whatever
way you want.  The Sun JDK is now open source as of JDK6, and JDK7 is under
development now.

It really is easy to write software in Java, and the portability is really what
we should be most interested in.  The GUI design tools in Netbeans let you do
form based design quite easily, if you like that kind of thing.

And I am in the camp of VB6.0 is not a good choice for a new APRS client, and
I'll also suggest that one of the free .Net IDEs from MS would be a better
choice if you really feel that you have to do something that is windows only.

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW