[aprssig] Different UI-Path's etc, (was RE: Time to UPGRADE obsolete DIGIS!)

John Ronan jronan at tssg.org
Mon Jun 9 14:09:29 EDT 2008

>> If the UK is hell bent on having TRACE traceable fine, but a question
>> that could be posed what would be the problem with having WIDE
>> traceable as well?
>
> Yea, like we do.  Then we dropped TRACEn-N because it did the same
> exact thing.  We dropped WIDE/TRACE/TRACEn-N/RELAY.  Our busy
> network here in the greater Seattle area got a whole lot less busy
> plus people could send messages to each other again.  The network
> became a WHOLE LOT more reliable.

That was more a point for Dave than a general one...TRACE could be
traceable (and preferred in the UK) WIDE wouldn't be traceable, and
allow travellers through an area to function without having to re-
configured.

>> Which is bogus, the WIDEn-n paradigm is fully traceable, thats the
>> whole point.
>
> Yep, but I'm not sure it's an obvious next step when you're looking
> at things like KPC-3+ manuals.  It took people here a while to come
> up with it.

Thats true, a fella here rang me to know why his newly configured TH-
D7 wouldn't work... though it was receiving fine, he had it set
perfectly for RELAY,WIDE, had him up and running in 2 mins.

>> I got booted from a list already (I forget which) for suggesting (in
>> exasperation it has to be said) that traceable WIDEn-n had to be more
>> efficient than traceable TRACEn-n, as there was one less character in
>> WIDE.
>
> Because you _know_ how AX.25 headers are implemented, that's pretty
> funny!

I though it was at the time, but no one else seemed to ;)

Anyway, I've painting to do (and I just got my AIS reciever
configured as a source for NTPD... so I'm accurate to a second or so
at least ;))

l8rs.
John

--