[aprssig] New Open Source APRS Client Project

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Mon Jun 9 01:33:12 EDT 2008

On Jun 8, 2008, at 6:03 PM, Jason Rausch wrote:
> Locally (Tidewater Area of Virginia), we have started
> up an effort to write a new Windows based APRS client,
> that is open source and 100% free.  The entire program
> is written in Visual Basic 6.  So far, I have written
> all of the code to date.  I am a horrible programmer,
> so I am hoping for some more help from people who know
> what the hell they are doing :o)

VB6 is no longer considered a supported product by MS:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788707.aspx

I would be concerned that the transition from VB6 to .NET (or other
platforms) is rather difficult, and that it gets far more difficult
as more code is added.  With it being unsupported, the chance of it
not working on the next release of Windows is higher than if it were
a supported product...

But that said, I doubt UI View will work on the next version either,
so maybe just having an alternative that follows Windows UI
guidelines for those platforms that UI View supports might be a good
thing.