[aprssig] Simplifying Europe to traceable WIDEn-N

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sun Jun 8 20:59:06 EDT 2008

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008, Dr.Oliver Raabe wrote:

> Although I'm not in favor with an "official" regulation of aprs-standards
> (because self regulation in the current manner might be better for future
> innovation processes)

That's the one thought I keep having during this whole thread.
Witness how the unchangeable firmware in some radios/TNC's, and
unchangeable software in some clients have crippled the evolution of
APRS.

>  it would be best "officially" getting rid of RELAY and
> TRACE in Europe too. We are living in one world, there is no need (and no
> real argument) for spitted standards.

Having one standard in North America has really been nice.  It's not
a regulated standard though, so if something better comes along we
can easily change.  The definition of "easily" is up to the reader:
Stations are still changing over to the new standard which is what,
four years old?

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer