[aprssig] New Open Source APRS Client Project

Bob Burns W9RXR w9rxr_ at rlburns.net
Sun Jun 8 20:18:32 EDT 2008

At 08:03 PM 6/8/2008, Jason Rausch wrote:
>I am a horrible programmer, so I am hoping for some more help from
>people who know what the hell they are doing.

Jason, I commend you and your group for tackling such a project. I
use APRSpoint and UI-View and have an appreciation for the
limitations of each of those programs. Now that we have some really
great APRS hardware (Kenwood TM-D710, OpenTracker T2, TinyTrack 4,
etc.), it's good to see a new approach to APRS client software.

I am no programmer. However, I have spent a fair amount of time in
the testing of software and software-controlled mechanical systems.
I'd be glad to help with testing and evaluation as the project progresses.

>The TNC interface is strictly KISS.

I think this is a good idea.

>Here is what it does so far:
>- Supports COM 1-5 and 1200-19200 standard baud rates

Native USB support?

>Items to add:
>- Basic mapping (I need help with this!)

This will be a tough nut to crack. Ideally, the source of the map
data would be as openly available as the program. U.S. Census Tiger
map data might work for the U.S., but is there any equivalent for the
rest of the world?

>The latest version is available for an alpha download.

I'll take a look.

Bob...