[aprssig] Time to UPGRADE obsolete DIGIS!

John Ronan jronan at tssg.org
Fri Jun 6 18:14:19 EDT 2008

On 6 Jun 2008, at 21:23, Michael Conrad wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
>> I am all for a standardization, but the US way isn't necessarily the
>> best way (some might say that in some issues, "necessarily" would be
>> one word too much there).
>> Denmark's amateur radio association EDR is proposing a Region 1
>> standard; it is obviously to be discussed in a regional meeting this
>> autumn.
> but, do you have read this proposal ?

> We (here in Germany and other APRS users in Europe) are not very
> happy about this proposal,
> a discussion about a European APRS standard *before* submitting a
> proposal would be useful.

Agreed,
> Now it is time to contact our regional IARU member to get a
> compatible European APRS standard.

I'm not sure about procedure here, should/could there be a counter
proposal? At the very least a document would need to be put together
discussing why the existing proposal is not necessarily the best
one.    We (EI) will have representatives at the meeting (I'll ring
them tomorrow and ask their opinion), but I'm not sure how the IARU
Region 1 political system works.

Colleagues of mine recently did a road trip from Belarus back to
Ireland, WIDEn-n worked pretty much all the way, so I don't know how
the paper can claim TRACEn-n is favoured (amongst other items).

Regards
de John
EI7IG
--