[aprssig] Time to UPGRADE obsolete DIGIS!

Cap Pennell cap at cruzio.com
Fri Jun 6 17:10:05 EDT 2008

I think it could be more than that, Bob.  My additional guesses added below.
Most of these (like Kenwood APRS radios) can be setup as modern fill-in
digis, at least for that period of useful service to our (limited) VHF
network, generally not while mobile.  But useful modern digis are
"traceable" with "callsign substitution" too, and the old TAPR-2 clone TNCs
(MFJ,PacComm) can't do this modern APRS digipeating without the replacement
(UIDIGI freeware) EPROM.  Sadly, KPC-3 TNCs earlier than v8.2 (like v5,v6)
and older AEA TNCs can't do it either.
73, Cap KE6AFE

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/APRSpaths.gif