[aprssig] Time to UPGRADE obsolete DIGIS!

Michael Conrad do5mc at friggleware.de
Fri Jun 6 16:23:04 EDT 2008

Hi Jan,

> I am all for a standardization, but the US way isn't necessarily the
> best way (some might say that in some issues, "necessarily" would be
> one word too much there).
> Denmark's amateur radio association EDR is proposing a Region 1
> standard; it is obviously to be discussed in a regional meeting this
> autumn.
but, do you have read this proposal ?

If not, please read and you will see, there is no big difference between the
NEWn-n paradigm (by Bob Bruninga) and the danish proposal by Ivan Stauning.

The biggest difference (I found) is the use of RELAY and TRACEn-n instead of using WIDEn-n only,
but I'am unable to see any adavantage in using RELAY/TRACEn-n. WIDE1-1/WIDEn-n is much simpler
for users and for sysops (and for software developers ;-).

The last two years we encourage people to use NEWn-n and in the past you could see more
and more NEWn-n compatible stations. Now, a new proposal exists and a lot of users are confused.

We (here in Germany and other APRS users in Europe) are not very happy about this proposal,
a discussion about a European APRS standard *before* submitting a proposal would be useful.

Now it is time to contact our regional IARU member to get a compatible European APRS standard.

Greetings

      Micha