[aprssig] Time to UPGRADE obsolete DIGIS!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jun 6 08:49:50 EDT 2008

> >    APRS       1860 possibly old digis
> >    APNU19      918 UIDIGI v1.93 digis
> >    APN382      421 KPC-3 v8.2 digis
> >    BEACON      399 tncs, abandoned; local initiative
> >    APN383      320 KPC-3 v8.3 digis
> >    APN391      281 KPC-3 v9.1 digis

Now that's an eye opener!  Assuming 1600 of those "APRS" are old
obsolete digis.  This totals to about 4000 stand-alone digis.
Of that:

40% are obsolete RELAY, WIDE TRACE digis
25% are KPC3's
23% are UIDIGI ROMS
10% are unknown TNCs probably telemetry, WX, etc

We have got to get those old obsolete QRM generating low
efficiency digis upgraded.  Since any old TAPR-2 clone TNC can
run the UIDIGI ROM, the way is clear.  My congratulations and
hardy thanks go out to those ROM programmers that are burning
those ROMS for the UIDIGI upgrade to old TNC's.  The latest
recommendations are on Tim's web page:

http://www.qsl.net/n8deu/uidigi_eprom_settings.htm

We need to review those carefully and make sure they are doing
the New-N paradigm -AND- show how to include the locally
recommended VOICE frequency object packet in accordance with:
http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/localinfo.html

Everyone else, if you can find old 27256 EPROMS (I think) save
them to backup the dwindling supply of these old EPROMS.

Bob, WB4APR

Bob, Wb4APR