[aprssig] qA? Questions

Patrick Domack patrickdk at patrickdk.com
Sun Jun 1 22:37:02 EDT 2008

First the questions, then the why I ask.

I have noticed on my igate (aprsd), the packets it gates used to
always be qAR, but lately it's changed to sometimes qAO or qAo. (I
have also noticed my aprspoint is getting qAX, but this must be a
different issue)

I have read up on the q-codes and what they mean, but it doesn't
really explain the difference between the qAR vs qAO, other than qAR
is for a special igate port usage, and that doesn't make much sense to
me.

I personally like to setup filter rules, or just connect to an aprs-is
server port with defaults filter rules setup for the application.
Generally to pass up local traffic, and download messages to see if
any are for local or of local interrest.

But I've read over and over and can't figure out what q-code I should
want my igate to get, or what would be a properly configured igate
q-code.

I see igates getting mainly qAO, qAo, and qAC currently, and a few get
qAR and qAX (I think it's just evil people would setup an igate and
not login)

-----

I have been work on the aprsd code and wanted it to cause less qrm for
gating packets from aprs-is to rf, so I coded in some return-path code
that it would use to limit the number of digi's access when sending
messages.

The issue with this is, the code has been dead for the last 5years or
so, and has quiet a few bugs and memory issues.

2.2.6-4 segfaults when it forks the tnc thread

2.2.5-15 just randomly segfaults after a few hours of operation

2.2.5-7-patched seems to be running pretty stable for me, but it still
has issues

Based on the issues, and the amount of work to track down issues
(there isn't much consistancy) I think I am just going design a new
program and start working on bringing it up.

If anyone has suggestions for me, or general comments, I'm open. Best
now to ask before it's created and starts getting inflexable :)