[aprssig] AX25 Protocol group

Phillip zl2tze at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jun 1 18:26:02 EDT 2008

Hi,
      I have heard that the above group may be looking at altering the
callsign fields to allow for extended callsigns

Eg WB6XXX/VK9   or VK9XXX/WB6

If this happens then all ax25 firmware / software will have to be re-written
  What a job

Has anyone else heard this ???

From : VK2AAB
To : PACKET at WW
Type/status : B$
Date/time : 29-Apr 20:27
BID (MID) : 1968_VK2AAB
Message # : 373091
Title : Re:Time to switch off AX25
From: VK2AAB at VK2AAB.#SYD.NSW.AUS.OC
To : PACKET at WW
Ray might be interested to know that the ax25 protocol group will be making
changes for variable length callsign fields.
It is not just a problem for Australianxxx calls.
There are other special needs such as portable operation VK2AAB/ZL2 etc.
They are working this year on other changes but it is definately in their
todo list.
I did not know that Roger had requested the source code be destroyed.
Thats a shame, from memory I think someone volunteered to him to take it
over.
73 Barry VK2AAB

73 Phillip
ZL2TZE