[aprssig] APRS Voice Alert Explained, in short

Keith Stevenson ki4ybq at ki4ybq.net
Thu Jul 31 18:13:57 EDT 2008

Joseph,

Thanks for the summary.  I think you netted it out very well.
Hopefully more people will adopt both voice alert and putting their
voice frequency into their APRS status text.

For those who haven't tried this, it really does work!  Over the last
few weeks I've made some very nice contacts that were facilitated by
APRS voice alert.  In both cases I knew that someone was nearby
because I heard their APRS packet.  I caught VE7MMG while he was
driving cross-continent on his way back to British Columbia, and this
morning I had a QSO with KC5LAA who was passing through on his way
from New Orleans to Ontario.  Not bad at all considering I was driving
around home in Louisville Kentucky!  Neither of these QSOs would have
happened without ARPS letting us know that each other were there.

73,
Keith Stevenson, KI4YBQ