[aprssig] Net Objects

Randy Allen ka0azs at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 30 20:21:44 EDT 2008

Bob's discussion about Hamfest objects and the use of HFEST on Findu-com
gave me an idea (probably not original).

For some time I've been occasionally putting out APRS bulletins when the
weekly ARES net starts giving the repeater frequency and tone (more
recently in the FFF.FFFMHz TTTHz format).

Bob's Webinars and postings have gotten me into the mode of thinking
local info on RF, so last and this week I started placing an object at
the approximate part of the county where the repeater is, along with
frequency and tone and net info.

(Object D3ARES, http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?D3ARES)

Is there (or should there be) a standard naming convention?  I picked
D3ARES as this is a District 3 ARES net, but that would probably not
mean much to a traveler passing through.  And searching on Find-u for
nearby nets (I'm thinking ham in motel room with internet, handheld and
no RF APRS, a place I've been on many occasions). would be problematic.

I did a Find-u search on net* and found 3 listings.

One problem with Find-u is that you cannot kill the object as you can on
RF, so probably putting net schedule in text would be a good thing as well.

Comments? Did I miss a major thread on this?

--
Randy Allen, KAØAZS