[aprssig] YOTREPS and AIS

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Wed Jul 30 13:11:37 EDT 2008

I've been looking at ship tracking data here...

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shiplocations.phtml

And I was surprised to see a bunch of ham callsigns in there as well.
If you filter it to show only yachts, they're the majority.  Apparently
they're using something called YOTREPS over HF email.  I'd heard that
Winlink can carry position data, but this is a new one to me.

Seems like HF APRS would be a more efficient way to send position
reports than sending text files through Winlink, but apparently it
works.  Does anyone know any more about this system?

I was hoping to spot MOL Prosperity, callsign 3EGM9, on AIS but I
haven't seen it yet.  It's got about half a metric ton of APRS weather
stations on board...

Scott
N1VG