[aprssig] [SMDAPRS] NATIONAL LIGHTHOUSE-LIGHTSHIP WEEK Event

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jul 30 09:21:20 EDT 2008

> *The Southern Maryland Amateur Radio Club will be at the Drum
Point
> Lighthouse located at Calvert Marine Museum in Solomons,
Maryland
> operating the NATIONAL LIGHTHOUSE-LIGHTSHIP WEEK event this
weekend

Reminder... If it something is happening on Ham Radio, then its
nice to put out an object on APRS allerting surrounding
bretheren.  APRS has a Lighthouse symbol just for this purpose.
"\L"  Im forwarding this message to the APRS group to remind
others to do the same...

With effort, we could even include operating frequency in the
object.

We could even operate APRS using the new global CQ system,
though I am not sure what the well recognized short abbreviation
for NATIONAL LIGHTHOUSE_LIGHTSHIP WEEK is...
www.aprs.org/cqsrvr.html

Another idea is to inspire some pic programmer to make a dongle
for HF rigs that would use their serial interface to query their
operating frequency, and then automatically turn around and
transmit that out in an APRS beacon using the HF station symbol.
This way we can see where (in both the spatial and RF domains)
they are operating in real time.

Bob, WB4APR