[aprssig] Slightly OT: Re: More aircraft bootleggers @ Oshkosh ?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jul 29 09:52:05 EDT 2008

> I am going up to the EAA fly-in in Oshkosh...
> Anyone know what simplex/repeater freq area
> hams will be using there?

Well if hams were keeping up with APRS initiatives, then the
freqs would show up on your APRS rig within 10 minutes of
arrival.  Individuals would be including their monitoring voice
frequency in their beacons, and digipeaters would be including
the locally recommended voice repeater in each of their areas.

But alas, at the rate at which hams absorb change, it will take
10 years for this to fully penetrate...  We started this
initiative in 2004, so only 6 years to go!

See how it works:
www.aprs.org/localinfo.html

AND if you are not seeing these in your local area, then contact
your digi owner/operator and offer to help him format his BTEXT.

In fact, I wonder if a KPC-3+ Properly configured with its
REPEATER object will respond to a ?APRS? Query with its BTEXT?
If so, then ?APRS? Should get you a frequency in under 2
minutes from arrival...  I know a KPC-3+ is supposed to respond.
I'm just not sure with what?  We should have thought about a
?FREQ? query...

Thanks
Bob, WB4APR