[aprssig] IRLP APRS Status Script: Multiconnect Bug?

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Fri Jul 25 13:51:58 EDT 2008

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> Keith, thanks for taking this on...

No problem. I want the status script to be as useful as it can be, and
node 1148 is mine, so I have a vested interest!

>> IRLP1148 147.570MHz S T100 R15Km IDLE
>
> I think adding the hyphen between IRLP and 1148 shows up nicer
> on the radios and also fills the full 9 byte field.  [IRLP-1148]

I agree. I think it is more readable with the hyphen, and it's going to
be 9 characters no matter what.

> The S is not needed, assuming standard band-plan offsets. Also,
> the S then pushes the Tnnn to the right and out of place with
> the standard format.  The reason for sticking to the new
> standard is so that all software (including the new D710 radios)
> can parse this tone and in the case of the radios, auto-tune to
> this frequency and tone. So the Tone has to be in the right
> place. And be exactly Tnnn always. (leading zero and no tenths).

I have removed the offset now. There was actually some fancy scripting
for creating it, but it's easy to remove.

> Further the Range format for range has to be Rxxm or Rxxk. This
> is so that the combination of FREQ, TONE and RANGE all fit
> nicely on the 10x10 displays of all the APRS radios.

I've changed it to R15K in my case... umm, is the upper case K OK? I
just thought it was more readable, but I can change it.

Thanks for your comments. I'll take it over to the IRLP & IRLP embedded
lists. As Steve AA5SG commented, individuals can edit the script
themselves, but it would be very useful if Randy K6HUR will incorporate
the changes and make it available for everyone.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH