[aprssig] Newest model Garmin that works with d710?

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue Jul 22 13:16:04 EDT 2008

I've got a working prototype of a protocol translator here that allows
the D710 (and D700) to work with most of the newer nuvi and StreetPilot
models.  Hopefully I'll have them in production by the end of the summer.

The hardest part so far has been getting the cable I need - I had to go
to a company in Taiwan to produce a custom mold.  They're just starting
production of the cables now.  Meanwhile, I'm working on shrinking the
translator circuit down to a size that'll fit easily in a lump on the cable.

That'll only cover the models with the mini-B USB connector.  I'm still
working on the 18-pin type.

There's more work to be done on the firmware still, but as it is, it
generates GPRMC, GPGGA, and GPGLL sentences from the Garmin binary data.
  It'll also take GPWPL or PKWDWPL waypoint strings and generate POIs
for them, if the GPS unit supports it, which most don't at the moment.

Scott
N1VG