[aprssig] Q: HAMFEST objects on APRS

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Jul 12 12:50:07 EDT 2008

Steve, K9DCI wrote...

> With the talk of APRS symbols, I'm confused...
> Bob's web page says:
> HAMFESTS: ... \h symbol ... object name of HFEST-ddx
> where dd is the day of the month, and "x" is the next unused symbol.
> I'm unable to decode the intent of:  "...next unused symbol...".

Object names can be up to 9 characters.

HFEST-12a might be a hamfest in Timbuktu.
HFEST-12b might be in Havana.
HFEST-12c might be Snoggins Falls.

Before you create your "hamfest object" look and see if there is another
hamfest on that same day. If there were three already as above, you
would choose HFEST-12d. You could have 24 unique hamfests with a-z
and another 24 with A-Z as object names are case sensitive. Now if we
have more than 48 hamfests the same day we are really in trouble!

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH