[aprssig] OT: DV Dongle a D-Star codec on USB.

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue Jul 8 13:07:44 EDT 2008

We've been through this a bunch of times.

The difference is that it's not just that you can only buy the chip from
one place - you can't get the specs on how the encoding works, and you
can't do it yourself without being sued, even if you did figure it out.

Every other proprietary part in a radio (even the D-STAR radios) can be
replaced by some other part or combination of other parts.  You have
absolutely no options with AMBE.

Again, it's not a technical problem, it's a legal restriction.

To take your example of a DSP chip - you can buy any DSP chip you want
and perform the same filter operations with it, you can do it with a
general purpose processor, you can do it in an FPGA, or you can
implement it in discrete TTL logic if you really want to.  For AMBE,
your options are: 1. Buy an AMBE2000 chip, 2. Pay to license the AMBE
CODEC (hundreds of thousands of dollars at least, by all reports).

Even if those DSP chips you mention were doing something secret (or
patented), it wouldn't be a big deal because if you're running SSB
you're still able to communicate with other SSB rigs regardless of how
spiffy your filters are.  No one else would have to worry about it.  But
to operate on D-STAR, you pay your money to DVSI or you don't play.

Let me say that again - Digital Voice Systems, Inc gets money for every
D-STAR compatible radio sold.  You CANNOT build a D-STAR compatible
radio without DVSI-licensed parts or IP.

It's a very, very sad state of affairs for amateur radio that we've
decided it's ok that we don't know how critical portions of our radios
work and aren't allowed to find out even if we're so inclined.

Scott
N1VG