[aprssig] VX-8R

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Tue Jul 8 12:50:49 EDT 2008

Mathew WA4TKG wrote...

> I have read the specs for this thing, and they claim it is the same
> for VX-7R, in that it has HF (AM/FM) capability. Is that true? (anyone
> actually KNOW?). Will/Does it REALLY have ALL the "features" of the 7R
> (waterproof, HF Broadcast RX, etc)?

The most information that I've seen on it is at
www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0008.html. Feature-wise, it looks
like a cross between the VX-7R and the VX-3R with APRS thrown in.
Various people have either seen it or had it in their hands at e.g.
Dayton, but weren't allowed to push any buttons. There is already a
VX-8R support group, but everyone there is pretty much waiting for more
details. Word is that Bluetooth will only be used for a headset and not
for a Bluetooth enabled GPS receiver. That's unfortunate if that is
true. I already have a 7R but would only be interested in the 8R if it
is a "good" radio for APRS. Time will tell. A built-in GPS receiver or a
Bluetooth connection to a GPS receiver is probably what it would take to
talk me into it, but the overall "APRS usability" is a complete unknown
right now. Of course, if I can sell my almost-virgin VX-8R for a
reasonable price, I could grab one even if it isn't the ideal APRS HT.
It's slightly more compact than the 7R.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH