[aprssig] D-STAR VOICE value?

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Tue Jul 8 10:29:35 EDT 2008

Interesting you should mention this, Bob.  I commented to the folks manning the D-STARUsers.org booth after your presentation at Dayton that the basics of everything you talked about on AVRS was already up and designed into the D-STAR protocol and equipment.  Because D-STAR already carries callsign and repeater information in the protocol, anyone on a networked repeater system (most) can talk to anyone on any other networked repeater system by simply "dialing in" the other person's callsign.  Essentially, AVRS brought to the next level where network knowledge is not required and the necessary information is included in every transmission via the D-STAR protocol design.

As I say, this type of communication is going on daily, world-wide on the D-STAR repeater systems.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net