[aprssig] PIC processor for APRS info for D-STAR mobiles?

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Tue Jul 8 10:01:04 EDT 2008

Bob,

Think of the D-STAR repeater as an FM repeater with a different type of controller.  It is not full duplex, there is nothing to "hack".  The protocol is streaming bits and has some very important safeguards in it to cause such "hacking" that you are talking about to be not only ineffective but potentially illegal in many countries including the US.  What you are asking for is the modification of a signal identified as generated from one station without that station's approval.  Very slippery slope.  This is not packet where data packets "interleaved" on a frequency.  This is streaming bits where only one transmission at a time is allowed.

As for blasting data out on the repeater frequency, do you want this on your local FM repeater using a TNC?  No, because everyone will quit using the repeater.  The same holds true for D-STAR repeater.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net