[aprssig] PIC processor for APRS info for D-STAR mobiles?

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Tue Jul 8 06:37:38 EDT 2008

I didn't say that you can't put arbitrary data into the Icom data port.  I said that there is no "data channel".  It is not implemented that way.  I think the Mic-E analogy post that I referenced should be help clarify this to most people familiar with the Mic-E transmission design (again, not the Mic-E packet format, but the transmission methodology).

> > Please read my post demonstrating the basic comparison of D-PRS/D-
> STAR and your Mic-E concept.  If you are still confused, please contact
> me offline and I will try to explain that comparison.
>
> Pete, I'm not sure if you're just not explaining it very well or if
> you're being intentionally obtuse, but I've tried to follow the
> explanation and Bob's not the only one who's not getting it.  Have a
> little patience with us, and I'm sure we can get it straightened out.

Again, if you understand why the Mic-E design was unidirectional, then you will understand why you don't want to use D-STAR DV as a data protocol.  I am not being "intentionally obtuse".  In fact, it seems, many others understood the Mic-E analogy which puts it into terms most long-time APRS participants understand.  I am sorry if it is a difficult concept that using a voice transmission medium as a data transmission medium on a frequency that is primarily used for voice is problematic at best and interfering at worst.  Sometimes, "what can be done" is not a good use of a communications medium because of significant detriments to the primary use of the communications channel.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net