[aprssig] D-PRS> D-STAR and APRS Explained

Rich Garcia k4gpsc at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 21:09:35 EDT 2008

Yes.. good way of explaining it.

BUT as I learned early on when I first tried D-Star that every time your
radio does key up to send the position report over the gateway other users
will know in a way. Their radio will act just as if someone has "kerchunked"
the repeater, you may not hear the "brapp" of a packet but you will know
someone is out there. Yes you can set up the radio to only send out the GPS
data while you are speaking but how about the users that have little or no
activity on their one and only repeater? If no one is out there to talk to
then you need to remember to key up for a few moments every time you want
the position report to go out.

The origninal "design" of Mic-E was actually a bit better. If built
correctly the MIC-E enabled repeater would re-transmit the packet onto the
APRS channel or directly to the internet but voice users on the repeater
would be unaware/unbothered. Now the APRS user would also need to be sure
that their setup was properly configured to inhibit transmissions during a
voice conversation but hey it was an idea that needed some technical work
just like every new idea that comes to our hobby. I think some regions of
the country did get some good working systems going but it never took off,
so what there are a lot of places in the country that APRS has not taken off
either.

I tried DV for a little bit of time but decided to sell the radio, it was
not my cup of tea. It was a mix of this based on lack of activity, poor
coverage if at all in my area, a single DV repeater but above all when I saw
the way APRS worked over DV and my primary interest is APRS, that was the
final deciding factor.