[aprssig] OT RE: Irfanview and DEP (was APRS Frequency info?)

Dave Baxter Dave at emv.co.uk
Mon Jul 7 12:36:49 EDT 2008

Hi...

The problem is fairly well known.  Some (I don't know about any later)
versions of Irfan view, internally executes run time code, read into
data buffers.  In this case it's intentional, and part of the way the
program was written.  I won't go into if it's good/bad practice, but it
was a common thing to do in the past...

Anyway, it's also a common way for unintended visitors to begin to hack
your PC, the so called buffer overrun, resulting in code being executed
in a data area.

"DEP" or Data Execution Protection is one way to prevent that.  Some
high end CPU's can do that if programmed up the correct way, some
versions of Windowz can do something similar (they say) in software.
Either way, Irfanview (an otherwise very versatile image manipulator)
will fail to run, and bring up warning messages etc...

An alternative (though not free) very good program could be Paint Shop
Pro.  But later versions are mind bogglingly complex!.

73.

Dave G0WBX.