[aprssig] PIC processor for APRS info for D-STAR mobiles?

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Sun Jul 6 11:24:06 EDT 2008

Implemented in the D-PRS specification.  Reference http://www.aprs-is.net/dprs.aspx  This specification takes into account the idiosyncrasies of using the D-STAR voice protocol for data transfer.

> In addition, the HamHUD project was approached by Icom to create an
> external terminal that was intended for marrying up with the Icom D-
> Star radios for an APRS-specific application of the D-Star protocol.  I
> was involved with the initial discussions, but it was turned over to
> Steve Bragg KA9MVA soon after.  I can't give anymore details than this
> because I do not have Steve's permission to do so.  Needless to say,
> the project did not take off.  Again, I cannot reveal the reasons
> without Steve's OK.

If the HamHUD project would use the D-PRS specification, it would be reliable and able to interact with APRS clients while also receiving Icom D-STAR GPS information.  This is the significant piece that continues to be overlooked in this thread.  D-PRS is designed for APRS clients to see Icom D-STAR radios in GPS/GPS-A modes AND allow those clients to use the D-STAR data subchannel for bidirectional communications.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net