[aprssig] PIC processor for APRS info for D-STAR mobiles?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Jul 6 01:27:55 EDT 2008

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wrote:
> Yes, I got a partial answer.  So does the low speed GMSK data transit
> a voice grade repeater?  I know that afsk 1200baud packet will.  Will
> the 4800baud digital voice signal do the same?

I doubt it.    GMSK is not FSKed audio tones applied to an audio input
of an FM transmittter.   It is essentially direct FSK of the carrier in
a manner somewhat like 9600 baud packet.     Just as with 9600 baud
"classic packet" you would have to have a direct (probably DC-coupled)
connection between the receiver discriminator and TX modulator.
Normally it would be repeated in a manner more like a digipeater only
full duplex.  I.e. modem attached to RX discriminator to extract
baseband serial data stream, then serial data into a second modem
modulating the TX on another frequency simultaneously.    (This allows
the data to be regenerated and retimed before retransmission.)