[aprssig] Q: Where is the D710 UNPROTO parameter...

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 5 02:12:22 EDT 2008

   A new kid on the block has a D710.  He's pretty green, so I'm helping him understand APRS.  I saw him as a D700 on mine and called him.  When he said it was a D710 I figured it shows as a 700 because the D7/D700 are "D710 UN-aware" and that's what they get trying to decode the 710's parameter.  However, I wondered what the UNproto is for the D710, but he can't find it (APKxxx) in the APRS menu or other places.

   So, where'zit?

Bob,
P.S. My club APRS overview was *very* well received.  Time will tell, but three fellas said that it re-kindled their interest and may fire up their TNC's or whatever.
   I already have a request for another talk from a neighboring club.
   I started with a brief, high-level comparison between regular Packet and APRS (Connected vs. unconnected, blast & Pray, Digi Aliases, etc).  Quite a few fellas have idle TNC's from the "old days".  (:-)

   I hacked your PowerPoint some  [greatly improving it, of course (;-)]  and still have some other simplifications where I felt too much depth.  The temp sensor in your dad's attic got a chuckle.
I also added:
 Prelim info on the Yaesu VX-8,
 EMAIL,
 WHO-IS/-15,
 CQSRVR,
 HF freqs, and
 John Hansen's D700 Keyboard interface.

  I also talked about GPS jamming.

I also added CQSRVR and Email to that "whole APRS network" image.  When I get it buffed up more to my liking, I'll send it to you.

  Reminds me...  Does the D710 use Mic PF keys and DTMF for text input just like the D700?    a.k.a. Will The KenKey work on the 710?

--
73, Steve, K9DCI