[aprssig] APRS Frequency info?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Jul 4 13:53:44 EDT 2008

Bob Bruninga wrote:

> In response, at least the new Kenwoods can parse this
> information and instantly QSY at the press of the TUNE button.
> We hope to get FINDU and other APRS assets to also support this frequency information format. But the frequency information must be in the standard APRS format as detailed on the following web page:
>
> http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/localinfo.html.

It might help if the web page cited was something other than a rambling
stream of consciousness dealing with related issues, punctuated by a
series of fuzzy low-contrast, low-res images of radio front panels.
These things desperately need to be shot at adequate resolution and then
contrast -enhanced in Photoshop or something similar.   Perhaps you are
viewing this page in a 640x480 VGA-sized screen.   Viewed on  a 1440x900
Wide-XGA display on  a 17" laptop, the D7 screen shots are almost
completely illegible.

A template with the exact format of this kind of frequency object, along
with a couple of example strings,  needs to be the FIRST item on the
page.   Normally the explanatory material would be in the default
proportional-spaced font, with the literal string(s) to be entered set
apart in a bold Courier-type mono-spaced font. (This is the customary
practice for citing program code snippets in a magazine or book.)

The first thing people will want to know is EXACTLY HOW DO I COMPOSE THE
OBJECT STRING, especially to unlock the "automagic" tuning capabilities
of the D710 !       I wanted to do this about a month ago for my own
Echolink node object, and was completely frustrated at not being able to
quickly find this HOW-TO info on the page.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map
  http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps